A couple of weeks ago Tom and I were driving up Vine Avenue and I saw store called the Pump Station (www.pumpstation.com). I noticed in the window that there were mommy and baby outfits and I told myself that I would have to go check it out. I finally googled the store and found out it was a Breast Feeding Support/Baby store. I drove over on Monday and found out they had support groups for mothers. I decided to go yesterday and I am so happy I did!
There were 15 other women there with their babies. The group was not as racially diverse as I would have hoped but it was rich with baby advice by mothers who had read over so many parenting books and rejected as many as I have (or am trying to do). Lucy was also the biggest baby there! The oldest was 4 months old and she is only 8 weeks today...anyway...I found a few solutions to some problems I was having with Lucy.
Lucy has difficulty going to sleep because of gas and the "Moro Reflex" (startling reflex-why is it called Moro??) Anyway, all these women swore by the Miracle Blanket (another plug www.miracleblanket.com). It swaddles a baby so tight it looks like a baby straight jacket but it worked in calming her down and relaxing her. The second tool they advised was using an exercise ball (those big beach balls at the gym). You swaddle the baby and then sit on the ball and bounce. Can I tell you that she was the calmest she has ever been. I haven't seen her this way since she was in the incubator in the hospital. She slept in her dad's arms by 8pm...She woke up at 9pm for a feeding but went right back to sleep and did her regular waking every 2-3 hours. In anycase, these two tools were mini-miracle makers. Wishes do come true! Now if only I could do something about her gas...
Wednesday, September 28, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment