Monday, August 08, 2005

Introducing...



Baby Lucy
Born on August 3, 2005 @ 8:29 am

The joke around the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit was that this little girl would let the you or the nurses know when she was unhappy with something. Tom and I couldn't understand what they were talking about. Everytime we visited her she was alert, eager to eat, and very interested in engaging with us. Don't get me wrong, she cried during a few diaper changes but what baby doesn't? I always told myself I wanted to have/raise a daughter who was self-assured and knew what she wanted.It was our first night home from the hospital and after a very long sleepless night I think I got what I asked for...God help me.

I went to the hospital on August 2nd for a routine blood pressure check. Because it was high again, my doctor decided to do a cervix exam. Suprisingly, I was 3-4 centimeters dialated. I prayed to be one of those women who wouldn't feel early contractions and I was. Labor was induced at 6pm that evening. I opted for an epidural. It turned out to be a great choice. For the most part I waited patiently for the cue to begin pushing. By 2 am I was fully dialated. We started pushing a little but decided to wait for Lucy to descend a little on her own. By 5:30 am I decided it was time to really pushand get this little lady out. I had no idea the effort it would take to push her out. I thought I was free from all of the fatigue and hassle by choosing the epidural. 2 hours later, with very little results and a feverthat indicated signs of infection, the docotrs decided a c-section would be best. It as all very scary and overwhelming. Lucy had to spend the first for days of her life in the NICU where we visited her every three hours to feed and change her. We felt awful leaving her in the nursery and were so glad to be able to bring her home yesterday afternoon where she was greeted by Grandma Belma and Grandma Sano.

We were happy to receive many phone calls, messages, and emails, and a few visitors at the hospital. It was nice to know the many of you anticipated the day of her arrival as we did. Lucy is very lucky to born in to such a great communityof family and friends.

Life as I knew it changed overnight. It's been a rough start but we are looking forward to all the days ahead. Tom and I can't wait to for you to meet out other little 'booger'.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeeaayyy...whata cutie! so details how much did she weigh, length, etc. CONGRATULATIONS again...now i have a new excuse to visit l.a.

Anonymous said...

My dearest Lucy,

Welcome my dearest one. You are such a cutie! You show a mixture of your mom and dad's race. Simply beautiful! I couldn't wait to see you and of course hug you and kiss you and tickle you...
I love you, Lucy.

Auntie Meann

ps...tell your mom and dad that i said hi and o miss them,too. i am just very busy with things sometimes worthwhile, others are not. give my hugs and kisses to them as well.

nitoito said...

Lucia! You are too cute! Can't wait to meet you! Congrats Teresa & Tom!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of parenthood!! She is BEAUTIFUL! Just sending you both warm Congratulations on your new arrival. Your child is so blessed to have parents like you two to lay down cherished memories. ENJOY!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to this world, Baby Lucy! JJ can't wait to play with you! And tell your Mommy and Daddy that the complete exhaustion and sleep deprivation does ease up. Be nice to them!