Monday, August 29, 2005

Hazing



I had my first post-partum check up today and all I could do was laugh in disbelief when my doctor walked in. Being a new mom herself, all I could do was look at her laughing until I finally let out "Why didn't you warn me? Was this a cruel joke?" She new exactly what I meant and kiddingly responded with "Well, it's like hazing the new parent's, no one tells you how hard it is going to be." Lucy is gradually understanding the difference between night and day. Though she is waking every two-three hours to eat (she feeds almost every hour in the day!!!), she generally has been going back to sleep unless she is having a gas attack...Then all bets are over and I am up for the next three hours patting her back so vigorously that my wrists go numb. In retrospect I was very weepy the first few days and experienced some major postpartum blues. I remember saying to myself "What the hell??!?!! What did I do? What do I do?" Consulting the parenting books have been more of a hindrance than anything these days.

Instinct has now kicked in and all that has changed. I don't mind the night wakings (as long as she goes back to sleep :) ). I generally enjoy breast feeding her. It's cute to see her little face snuggled up against me with her hands holding my boob as if it is a big round bottle. Oh, and I love dressing her up! Today she wore her first pair of jeans. They are Osh Kosh Kosh Jeans for boys but they were on sale at Target so I bought them for her. She looks so round and chubby in them that I was telling Tom "If she was 5 feet tall and proportionately the same size I would recommend gastro bypass surgery and head reduction. It's totally cute!

Life as a stay-at-home-for-now mom is an experience. I barely remember the date and the days just blend into the nights. Outings to my in-laws house have become the highlight of the day (how many can say that), and taking a shower is now like a whole spa experience.

Recent stats on Lucy? Well, she weighs almost 10 lbs...

1 comment:

Mama Feel Good said...

so Bobawts were telling me today that it looks like hard work..and sounds like it from what you've been telling me so far and from what i just read--eeee!. i dont know what i'm getting myself into but i bet it's all worth it at the end...right?!!! hang in there!!